Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
cracked head
02-11-2019, 05:26 AM,
cracked head
hi all,   unfortunately I had a bearing melt down on my whippet 28  and an older gentleman  is rebuilding it for me as he does lots of old motor stuff. a few guys told me they had him do work for them and is good at what he does. but, the head  has  a crack across it and the question is do I chance it getting it welded up  or should I try to find another one?
02-11-2019, 05:48 AM,
RE: cracked head
Probably best if you can find another, the heads were a Whippet weakness. Some might say brazing will work as well and it's lower temperature. Depends on what you want to spend.
02-11-2019, 11:49 AM,
Another cast iron repair method you could explore is pinning with threaded plugs. Two companies that sell products for this are Lock-N-Stitch and Irontite. There are lots of YouTube videos that show how this method works. My order for Irontite plugs and tap should arrive tomorrow and I hope to use them later this week to repair cracks in my 1951 Ford V8 flathead motor which I'm presently working on.
02-13-2019, 11:19 AM,
I had a cracked head for 15 years. The crack was across the top of the head near the water inlet fitting. I think many crack there. Anyway I cleaned the crack really good and used JB Weld on it. It got me by for years until I found another head from another WOKR member. If you belong to the club you could put an add in the newsletter looking for one. In the end I think replacement is the best bet.
Larry