Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
96 Whippet Headlight Advice
02-03-2019, 04:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2019, 04:51 PM by iana. Edit Reason: better title description )
96 Whippet Headlight Advice
Hi - hoping someone might have some pictures of the headlight (lamp and holder ) assembly for a 1928 Whippet 96 model.

I have the headlight and a long lamp holder but Am not sure what is missing - If I put in a new lamp in it does not touch connection to the wire coming in the back of headlight. 

Reading a spare parts manual I have the part may be called the “Head lamp bulb connector assembly” But is does not show any pictures to check 

Thanks for any help
Ian
02-03-2019, 06:51 PM,
RE: 96 Whippet Headlight Advice
Maybe you could upload pictures of what you have rather than make us guess what you might have.
02-04-2019, 02:07 AM,
A photo would help but, at a guess what always seems to go missing are the connectors that ether go into the back of the lamp back or the internal parts from reflector to to the lamp body, Snyders Antique Auto Parts for the Fords seem to have parts often that fit other makes of cars and for the model A's on page A-157 and A-158 shows light units and there parts. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com  

For my early 1915 83 I couldn't find exact replacement connectors that had cracked in half so I made them although the T Fords use a similar looking part that would have worked but I am a little fussy as it has to look like it did when it left the factory.

02-04-2019, 02:41 AM,
Don't know what part of Australia you are in, but you could try making contact with the Willys Overland Club of Victoria or the Sydney based WillysWhippet Overland Knight Restorers Club. You can GooGle WOCV.
02-04-2019, 02:57 AM,
I have photographed some head lights I have, and the lamp connecting parts involved.  Please see the PDF file in this post for details, and Whippet part numbers.

.pdf   Model 96 Headlight Details.pdf (Size: 263.21 KB / Downloads: 32)
Al Donze
Mt. Sterling, OHIO
02-04-2019, 06:27 AM,
(02-04-2019, 02:57 AM)Al Donze Wrote: I have photographed some head lights I have, and the lamp connecting parts involved.  Please see the PDF file in this post for details, and Whippet part numbers.

Great Job Al!
02-04-2019, 10:39 AM,
(02-03-2019, 06:51 PM)lucy Wrote: Maybe you could upload pictures of what you have rather than make us guess what you might have.

Yes thanks thought of that after I posted the message 
A couple of people sent in some photos which will help me out 
regards Ian
02-04-2019, 10:42 AM,
(02-04-2019, 02:57 AM)Al Donze Wrote: I have photographed some head lights I have, and the lamp connecting parts involved.  Please see the PDF file in this post for details, and Whippet part numbers.

Hi Al
Thanks for the photos they are great. I will now know what I am looking for 
(headlight connector plug)  and will to track a couple down. Regards Ian
02-04-2019, 10:44 AM,
(02-04-2019, 02:07 AM)David Bliss Wrote: A photo would help but, at a guess what always seems to go missing are the connectors that ether go into the back of the lamp back or the internal parts from reflector to to the lamp body, Snyders Antique Auto Parts for the Fords seem to have parts often that fit other makes of cars and for the model A's on page A-157 and A-158 shows light units and there parts. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com  

For my early 1915 83 I couldn't find exact replacement connectors that had cracked in half so I made them although the T Fords use a similar looking part that would have worked but I am a little fussy as it has to look like it did when it left the factory.

Thanks David appreciate your help. I will have a look at the Snyder’s catalogue to see what will fit regards Ian
02-04-2019, 11:43 AM,
Ian,
 A number of years ago I wrote an article for the WOKR Starter magazine titled, "Supercharging Your Headlights" as a follow-up to one written by the late Ray Fiorini.  My interest centered around my inability to see more that a few feet in front of the car at night and that there was a red hot glowing resister under the dash when low beam was used.  Moreover, keeping both lamps working was almost impossible due to poor contacts which was a constant irritation.  I will be glad to forward a copy of the article to you if you are interested - just need an e-mail address.   I did find the parts I needed from Snyders for the upgrade.  A little tweaking was needed to make everything fit.

Mike
Mike Roetter #876
1927 Whippet 93A 6
Waterville, Ohio