Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting Tires for Model 79
09-09-2018, 07:55 PM,
Mounting Tires for Model 79
I'm getting ready to mount tires on freshly painted rims for my Model 79. Hoping to get advise as to completing this task without destroying the brand new finishes. The inside ring is easy, but I see a challenge for the outside split rim. Looking online, there only seems to be tools or spreaders for the Model T type spit rims which wouldn't seem to help with the style ring the Overland used. After investing more than 100 hours in these wheels in prep and paint any advise, pictures or videos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
09-10-2018, 12:01 AM,
RE: Mounting Tires for Model 79
I have some experience here. When I was a teenager, my father had me mount new tires on our 1922 Packard Twin Six touring car. The rims were the same or similar type. These were a three piece construction, wheel rim, outer tire rim, and the split lock ring. All these parts were painted.
I used some pieces of 1X4 pine to hold the outer rim down, compressing the tire and tube. I knelt on these, using my body weight. I then placed cardboard over most of the rim assembly to keep the lock ring from making contact with the paint as I worked the lock ring on. Today I would add a layer of vinyl electricians tape on the wheel rim to protect the paint further. The most dangerous part is the end of the lock ring. I would use an old screwdriver as my prying tool. I would smooth and round all corners, a cover the tip with shrink tubing. Slow and steady is critical. Don't rush, that's when chips and scratches will occur.
Remember to inflate the tires very slowly. Keep checking the alignment and mesh of the rim and rings. Misalignment can be hazardous.
Al Donze
Mt. Sterling, OHIO
09-10-2018, 01:39 AM,
RE: Mounting Tires for Model 79
Fresh paint is a problem as it marks easily. Our 06 car lacked detachable wheels or rims, this meant that everything was done on the car, getting them on wasn't a problem, I used a heavy hide mallet, this worked but after a years use getting them off wasn't easy as the bead of the tyre wouldn't budge from under the rim and was stuck fast. I made a simple tool to press in unsticking the bead and this lifted also to allow easy positioning of tyre levers underneath the bead, the leavers needed something between them and the rim to stop damage and this worked, another help was the C clips to hold levers to spokes while working round the tyre. A warning, I found french chalk helped a lot getting the tyres on, but then found it wasn't a good idea on the back wheels as in driving and braking all on those wheels alone I managed to turn the tyre on the rim and tore the valve out and this is the quickest way to remove the tyre and damage the paint, as we had the tyre roll down the road.  

When I got the Model 83 Overland on beaded 34 inch wheels with split rims I was going to make my own spreader from an old bumper jack that would have worked, but then was given a rim jack for my size of rims. A friend has a fit all rim jack, same make, but with adjustable arms, again these would need some padding to stop damage. A word of caution, treat your rim with care as rims can be bent and strained and are partially hard to get to run true.
By the way there isn't paint on the 83s rims as they are plated with something that looks like a galvanised coating, so it won't chip.