Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1916 Overland Six, model 86 restoration
09-03-2018, 04:29 PM,
1916 Overland Six, model 86 restoration
Dear All,

I'm currently restoring 1916 Overland Six, model 86. I bought the car in September 2017 and since that time I intensivelly work on the car. Nevertheless time to time I have some questions for more experienced Overland enthusiasts which limits me in my restoration efforts.

I hope there is somebody in the forum who can help me with them. Here are some, but definitivelly these are not the only:

- What should be the clearance between the tappets and the valves. I found in the Operating manual the value 0.005", which sounds me very, very low. I would expect something around 0.01" or even more. I have new valves, not stainless, but new material. Do you have any idea what should be the right valve clearance for this engine (it is Continental L head, 6 cylinder 303 cui)?

- In the Operation manual I see a lot of references to the "Complete Instruction Book". Unfortunatelly I do not have this useful book. Can someone help me with this point?

Thank you,
Vladimir.

P.S. If you are interested in my project, please let me know, I can also share this nice story with you. As a starter, here you can see some pictures of my car comparing the current situation vs. 1 year ago.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

09-03-2018, 06:13 PM,
RE: 1916 Overland Six, model 86 restoration
On a side valve engine like that I would have said 0.005-0.010 is normal with old carbon stemmed valves and I expect you have this type and these will grow little when hot, the spec for my early 1915 83 valves gives them as a 5% nickel head electrically welded to a carbon steel stem, and when I have had valves made I stay away from the stainless types for stems as the expansion rate is larger, the photo are my new 83 valves that are made in three parts. My handbook for my 83 gives the valve clearance as a thin visiting card with the comment of. This is the proper adjustment for both intake and exhaust. 

Just recently on a almost new diesel tractor engine that I thought it was a bit rattly and very flat the clearance was set a 2mm .075 thou and not the correct .2mm or .008 thou how on earth anyone would think of setting them at that? as the valves hardly opened at that setting.   

09-03-2018, 06:14 PM,
Since it's a new motor, you could go wider than 0.005". Try 0.008" at first. Slightly loose is better than too tight.
09-04-2018, 11:08 PM,
only just noticed the Continental engine and I never new Overland used any other engine manufacturers than there own, if the early Continental was as good as we had fitted in the 1940s Massey Harris tractors they were well engineered and lasted.
09-11-2018, 06:00 AM,
Hi guys,

During the first start after the engine overhaul we discovered that the cork float in the Tillotson B-6 carb. is completely crackled. Do you have any idea where to buy a new one  some replacement?

Don’t you have some instruction manual about the setting of this carb? Fuel level in the float chamber? Setting on the main jet? Iddle adjustment etc.

The engine runs, but not very smoothly :-)
https://youtu.be/MK8cI3xPeoQ

Thanks,
Vladimir
09-12-2018, 01:58 AM,
Try looking in the P&SL at the top of this page. Many great references and I believe there is at least one ccarb guy who builds floats. That is what the P&SL is for.