Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finger Tip Control Cover
08-31-2018, 11:12 AM,
Finger Tip Control Cover
As is well known there is a serious design flaw in the Whippets with left hand drive in that the FTC wiring box at the end of the steering column is directly under the carburetor. Dripping gas on an electrical device is a recipe for disaster. My carburetor does not have the upward slanted intake which would help with this problem. I understand that these cars may have come with some sort of cover to divert the gas drips from landing on the FTC. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone have a picture or plan for such a cover? Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to see my newly completed 1929 Whippet 96A go up in smoke.
08-31-2018, 04:22 PM,
RE: Finger Tip Control Cover
Yes Arend, they did have a protective metal shroud, or the later ones did. If you can post a photo of your switch cover, I can advise if yours is the model that had the shroud.Alternatively you could try to find an up angled intake, which would screw directly onto your existing carb, assuming it is a Tillotson S4C.
09-01-2018, 10:05 AM,
    Thanks, John. Here is a picture. I have the rectangular switch, not the round one.
09-01-2018, 04:05 PM,
Thanks Arend, it looks like you may have the earlier type, with out the shroud. Can you tell me if the switch is secured to the actuaing shaft by a clamp nut, or is the actuaticing shaft held in place by a small split pin inside the bottom of the switch? Are the masking tape position indicators on a bar across the metal switch cover? John.
09-01-2018, 11:12 PM,
Arend - Photo of switch on my Model 96A
Rick #577

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

09-02-2018, 01:36 PM,
(09-01-2018, 11:12 PM)rlnash Wrote: Arend - Photo of switch on my Model 96A
Rick #577

John: Held on with a clamp nut. The masking tape is not on a bar.

Rick: Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Is that a dent on the top or is it meant to be there? Now I just have to figure out a way to fabricate one. I'll get at that as soon as I finish fabricating the running board trim which I worked on today. I have a bead roller and I'm doing them in polished aluminum. I'm matching the profile of the fenders. I hope to have the car ready for insurance appraisal and registration very soon.
09-02-2018, 03:54 PM,
Arend, are there two small holes in the front of the cover like where the rivets are in Rick's picture of the switch?
09-02-2018, 07:31 PM,
Arend -  That dent is supposed to be there. I looked at the Whippet Four Parts list 96A on page 31. Part # is 96A-820, it clearly shows the indent . If you need me to make a drawing for you I will, or if you want to get Greg to send you the blueprint.  Good luck on getting the car on the road!
Rick #577
09-03-2018, 05:27 AM,
John: My FTC is not original to the car which didn't have one. I made up a working switch from assorted bits and pieces (and some JB Weld) that a friend had left over when he did his 96A years ago. I have several spare metal covers but none of them have holes. Mine will have holes a minute or two after I pick up my drill.

Rick: Thanks for the help. A sketch or a photo of the end view would be helpful to show the angle. I don't have the parts manual for the 96A, only the 96, and I haven't been able to find one. A scan of the blue print 96A-820 would be nice to have but I don't have Greg's email and I don't know if he does scans. If you can get me one it would be much appreciated. I guess the dent is for clearance for the bottom of the carburetor.
09-03-2018, 12:57 PM,
Yes Arend, I remember some pictures you showed early in the piece, you had a mix of the first and second series switches, the first series never had the bar and cover. John.