Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1917 overland have some questions
08-29-2018, 07:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 08:16 AM by Dapolito6.)
Photo  1917 overland have some questions
Just purchased a 1917 Willy's overland model 90
But it has the switch box on the steering column that controls thetlights ign and horn ,in the little bit of reading I've done on the models from that year it looks like the 90 didn't have the switch box 
The car looks pretty original 
The prior owner bypassed the generator and put an alternator on it ,and attached two tractor headlights bypassing the original  I'm trying to figure out the wiring to get them working again 
Also the fuel gauge is broken any sources for replacement and the speedometer cable is missing finally is something missing to hold the spare tire ,see picture and the carb is missing the Choke assembly see pic 
Any help is greatly appreciated

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-29-2018, 08:22 AM,
RE: 1917 overland have some questions
Second image spare tire bracket

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-30-2018, 04:08 AM,
James
My 1916 83B Touring has a light switch box (rectangular box with push buttons) on the steering column,  also, I may be wrong on this but I understood that the 1915 Overland may also have had a lighting switch on the steering column.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
08-30-2018, 02:50 PM,
Go to the library on this site, click on Overland and scroll to Model 90, you may find a downloadable wiring diagram.
08-30-2018, 02:59 PM,
Overland often changed things so a hand and parts book would help you I expect you can get them from the club, these will show everything that was fitted to your model and often the serial number of a change over, and blue prints are available for early cars from Greg Gumtow, find your serial number to find out wether its early or late and then from other owners wether parts may have been altered, I hate to see alterations like alternators and 6 volt systems converted to 12 volts as it can do a lot of damage, speedo cables are easily repaired but you will need the old ends and fittings and I think someone makes most parts for the gas gauge and sources of these can be found in the club roster.
08-31-2018, 01:16 AM,
I'd recommend Russ Furstnow in Flagstaff, Arizona for all things speedo wise. 1stnow@msn.com 928-526-1343 AFAIK he doesn't have a website. He's done work for me a number of times.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
08-31-2018, 08:12 AM,
I have a 1917 Overland Model 90 Country Club with the control box on the column.  I also have an original owner's manual which shows the control box on the steering column.   I have also included a picture of my carburetor, seems your missing some things See the attached pictures.

08-31-2018, 09:27 PM,
As a followup to my previous posting, I found my 1916 Overland Model 83 Instruction Manual and on page 105 is a paragraph and dwg of the "Steering column switch-box containing all electrical controls."  From top to bottom: Horn, Lights Off, Lights Dim, Lights Bright, Magneto On, Magneto Off"
FYI
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com
09-01-2018, 02:37 AM,
Thanks for the great info 
I got the switch box mostly working and I would like to someday go back to the 6 volt system I have the original generator and coil prob should get them rebuilt ,can I just get a new 6 volt coil ? And would I need a voltage regulator or not
Spoke to the prior owner and he found some parts he took off the old carb ,he's sending them to me hope it's what I need 
Also if you have the source for the gas gauge that would be great and how about the material for the floor covering and the material that is tacked on the outside of the doors to protect the paint when opening doors 
Thanks again fo r the help 
Great forum
09-01-2018, 02:41 AM,
You will get a new 6 volt coil easily enough. Your car just had a cut out, not a regulator and if the existing cut out is still there you can get it rebuilt or buy new from Snyders or other Model A Ford suppliers. If the floor material is linoleum, there is a firm Battleship Linoleum which you can Google.