Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muffler and exhaust
08-28-2018, 03:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 03:38 AM by Wellis66.)
Muffler and exhaust
I need to replace the muffler on my 1924 M64 Willys Knight, someone recommended getting a muffler from Tractor Supply, but I wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation.  I was going to send the old one to Waldron's Exhaust to see if they had something similar.

I have attached a picture of the muffler that came with the car as a spare, but I do not know if that was on purpose or even if it is any good for my engine.

Thanks
William
1924 WK - 64 Touring
08-28-2018, 03:39 AM,
RE: Muffler and exhaust
Guess I did not attach it.  So here it is

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1924 WK - 64 Touring
08-28-2018, 04:00 PM,
Thats a standard tractor one and often can be noisy, sounding just like a tractor as those type of silencers have little of the way of baffles and are not packed with sound deadening material. But thats a cheap quick fix and if its easily fitted give it a go you've nothing to loose if it doesn't work.
08-29-2018, 02:03 AM,
(08-28-2018, 04:00 PM)David Bliss Wrote: Thats a standard tractor one and often can be noisy, sounding just like a tractor as those type of silencers have little of the way of baffles and are not packed with sound deadening material. But thats a cheap quick fix and if its easily fitted give it a go you've nothing to loose if it doesn't work.

Thanks David for the reply.  I am going to see if the one on there has any baffle to it.  I attached the picture.  As you can see it was "Blown out" not sure how or why.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1924 WK - 64 Touring
09-02-2018, 03:54 AM,
It looks rather rotted and thin so any slight backfire would open it up, I once had what I thought was carburettor trouble as the engine sort of ran better with the choke out and then died a few times until the battery gave up just when I thought I had found the problem with the carburettor, and I couldn't wait to charge the battery and tried tow starting, well there were a lot of snap, crackle and pops and a deafening bang, a almost new silencer was split wide open along its seam. I had waisted a lot of time repairing a good carburettor with nothing wrong as I found it was the ignition condenser that had failed causing a weak spark and choking to cause a rich mixture helped the engine to run, albeit roughly, with the weak spark.