Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whippet Rear View Mirrors
08-08-2018, 08:58 AM,
Whippet Rear View Mirrors
My 96A is nearing completion. One problem I have not solved is how to install side mirrors. I'd be very interested in hearing what others have done. Besides this, today was another two steps forward. I bought a set of new 20" Firestone tires and a new pressure washer with an abrasive blasting kit. I wish I had had that when I was cleaning the rust from the body. This has to be the best and fastest method of rust removal. I just started cleaning a rim and I'm impressed. You can do it in the back yard. There is no dust and the overspray feels great on a hot day.
08-08-2018, 09:41 AM,
RE: Whippet Rear View Mirrors
To pass inspection I am using clamp on mirrors from Restoration Supply. It is only temporary and did not require a lot of forethought. I am looking for a long term solution but Hershey is just a couple of months away.
1924 WK - 64 Touring
08-08-2018, 10:51 AM,
I purchased a hinge mounted mirror for the drivers side (left) door of my 27 Whippet 93A.   I gently drove the pin out of the top hinge and installed the mounting for the mirror.  It was simple.  However, there are couple issues.  First, the arm of the rv mirror isn't quite as long as it should be which doesn't give me the full rear view I would like.  This is likely due to the fact that the rear of the sedan is wider than the front.   The second issue is me.  Every time I walk by the car I bump my head into the mirror and knock it out of adjustment.  Of course, the Admiral keeps reminding me that if I looked up instead of down when I walk, I wouldn't run into so many things.  I thought installing it on the top hinge would keep it relatively out of the way.  The middle hinge might have been a better choice.  

I also own a clamp on type that clamps to the door frame.  I didn't use it because I felt it would damage the paint.

Despite the limitations, the driver's side mirror was a real improvement in driveability.

Mike
Mike Roetter #876
1927 Whippet 93A 6
Waterville, Ohio
08-08-2018, 06:56 PM,
I bought a round mirror from a Model A catalog. It mounted on the top hinge. It works well, but I did get  a slight amount of paint damage driving out the hinge pin. The pressure washer worked great for me when cleaning the frame for paint.
Rick
08-09-2018, 10:58 PM,
Did you happen to find any alternatives to Model A catalog mirror at all, Rick?
08-10-2018, 03:36 AM,
Steven- That purchase was over 20 years ago - so the particulars escape me.

Rick #577
09-24-2018, 07:25 AM,
(08-08-2018, 08:58 AM)Eagle Wrote: My 96A is nearing completion. One problem I have not solved is how to install side mirrors. I'd be very interested in hearing what others have done. 

I finished fabricating and installing side mirrors. I was not able to find any mirrors that would work without drilling into the sheet metal. These Whippets do not have hinge pins or door edges to which standard mirror brackets can be attached. Thus I purchased two 5" round mirrors, a flat one for the driver side and a convex one for the passenger side, and some 3/8" round bar. I made and welded on some brackets cut and bent from 1/8" flat bar. I screwed these to the top inside of the window frame. I cut space for the brackets into the top rubber seal. I think they look pretty good and function well.

Last week I had the car appraised and insured. When the weather improves (we just had lots of snow) I want to take it out on the road to see how it drives.
09-24-2018, 01:21 PM,
That looks pretty period Arend.