Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve setting for Model 4
07-24-2018, 02:15 AM,
Valve setting for Model 4
Dykes encyclopedia suggests bringing one valve of any cylinder up as high as it will go, then setting the clearance on the other. The clearance (as suggested  in Model 4 repair manual) should be .003. This is quite a lot less than I see " Sleeve Rod Slim " suggests, also S.R.S suggests more clearance for the exhaust valves as well. Is the technique ok? And what would you fellas suggest as to the clearances? Thanks Garth
07-24-2018, 02:41 AM,
RE: Valve setting for Model 4
Garth,
Overland service bulletin, dated Sept 1922, states the valves should be set cold, inlet .004 exhaust .006.
Hope this helps Bob
07-24-2018, 03:47 AM,
Yes, thank you Bob!. Wonder why Repair manual suggested .003 for all? Likely discovered when hot, the valves were not fully closing maybe?
08-01-2018, 02:52 AM,
Ok, I felt I should clarify what I learned and apologize . I think I misunderstood the Dyke's Encyclopedia and misrepresented their instructions. Proper way is to bring any piston up on compression to top dead center, then both valves for that cylinder can be set, and as Bob suggested .004 for inlet and .006 for exhaust. I am not a mechanic, just a carpenter/cabinetmaker. If there is a better way that you know (anyone) please add your input or correction, Thanks Garth
08-01-2018, 06:34 AM,
This wont help as its the complicated way to set valves, the clearances are set just before the lift of that valve, its the most accurately ground part of the cam, over the years 55 doing it, I watch as all the valves move and somehow it come natural of knowing which valve is going to lift next cant explain how I do it, but with those uncomplicated engines as said its exhaust opens then closes, inlet opens and closes, then compression so adjust with piston at TDC and not over TDC easily felt on the starting handle on that compression stroke, adjust both valves at that spot, if you do the exercise twice and get the same results + or - a thou you've cracked it. haven't got the patience to do a V12 anymore.

David