Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1916 model 75B transmission/diff oil check
07-11-2018, 11:17 PM,
1916 model 75B transmission/diff oil check
Just want to know how I check and add....diff oil and transmission oil....are they interconnected??  not sure what is a fill plug and what might be a level check plug  Thanks
07-13-2018, 12:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2018, 12:30 AM by David Bliss.)
RE: 1916 model 75B transmission/diff oil check
The 75 might be similar to the 1915 83 trans-axle thats fitted to my car, the gearbox is inter connected to the diff housing. The hand book for the 83 says every 3000 miles remove gearbox and axle covers and replenish with new grease, with no mention of what grade or how much, there are several plugs, none of which are level or fillers but are for access to remove pins and shafts through. My axle had been ruined by someone packing it with a very heavy thick grease that never flowed to allow continual lubrication, in the axle the diff spider and the crown-wheel and pinion had chewed themselves apart also destroying the bearings with all the metal swarf floating around in the process and the gearbox input shaft had seized sharing its end off. 
After repairs a 250 grade anti-fling oil was used both in gearbox and diff, then in use I found oil slowly found its way back through the pinion bearing to overfill the axle to leave drips of oil from the axle tube drain holes, so for two years I have been draining the excess from the diff unit and putting it back into the gearbox every few hundred miles, that is until I had time to effect a cure. (1) if you replace the pinion bearing with a sealed bearing and (2) I had just renewed mine and didn't know of the Aussie mod to use a sealed bearing (FWD wheel bearing) and as I didn't want to disturb the new gear and bearing, I fitted a standard oil seal after machining the gearbox case.

Oil Levels, well there must be lubricant high enough at all times to keep the front large gear in oil especially when going up hills when oil runs back, as oil is carried round by this gear so oil is then squeezed into holes drilled in the root of the gear teeth of the input shaft to constantly oil the bronze toe bearing of the pinion shaft that had seized on my car, so I run with oil up to the bottom of the pinion shaft. The diff housing I fill nearly up to the bottom of the half shafts, in use oil is carried round so oil level is reduced and I rarely get any drips now.

Photos (1) 83 trans axle (2) Internals (3) sheared toe bearing (4) chewed up pinion gear teeth (5) new pinion and bearing (6) boring box for seal (7) just visible oil seal (8) after about 5,000 miles the new pinion showing 3/4 to a full tooth contact on the drive face and nearly the same on over-run (9) A lot of work, but it now runs silent.

All you engineering buffs, what did WO get wrong in photo 7.
07-13-2018, 06:30 AM,
Hello David,Thanks for the reply, My car does have a transaxle, but, looks all togather difrent then yours. Mine is a #75B so maybe there the difrence. HOPEFULLY omeone with a #75B will chime in Thanks again.
07-13-2018, 03:10 PM,
I found that even within the 83 model parts from my axle have the same part numbers from the 81 including gear ratios, but parts from the 83B, like gear ratios for first, reverse and second are higher along with much smaller shaft sizes with even a different dimension to the gear casing, so all the later gears and shafts will fit into my case as a hole, but not the other way round, I even have an odd ball engine and have found two other early 83 cars, both RHD, shipped over in the UK direction with the same engine but no mention in the WOKR roster that they were ever made and still exist but I have the paper work to say they could be made to special order so you need some other 75B owners to give advice as I have found that even within the same model things were changed.
07-13-2018, 08:05 PM,
Hi David, I'm not sure if I see what you were referring to that WO got wrong in pic no 7.  But it appears the gear meshing with the gear in bottom right doesn't have enough clearance and is contacting in the root between the teeth. Bill
07-13-2018, 11:11 PM,
Hi Bill, you got it right, both the constant mesh and second gears were tight, ether the gears were a little to big or what I think the shaft centres were a little close, it causes a tremendous bursting force as oil has to go somewhere, splash fed gears run with less clearances than submerged gears do, I have over the years seen very odd gear failures with the trailing faces damaged by escaping oil or almost instant boiling oil.
Yesterday, 02:04 PM,
Try http://www.autopaper.com they have a 75B owners handbook for sale and this may give capacity.