Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
one touch switch
07-10-2018, 11:21 PM,
one touch switch
I have a 1930 Willys 8-80 VC, and I think my one touch switch has gone bad.
Anyone know if they are available for purchase? Can they be repaired? Any sources for either?
Thanks,

John
07-11-2018, 02:54 AM,
RE: one touch switch
If you are referring to the Fingertip Control Switch, you will find some information on them in the downloadable portion of the library. What specifically is wrong with the switch, starter ,lights, horn or all three? Is the switch the rectangular or round type?You may occassionally find them on EBAY but not often.
07-11-2018, 05:00 AM,
Hi John, 
Yes it's the fingertip control. It's round. Nothing works. I have the lights, horn,and main lead hooked up to it, so nothing is working...no brake light, taillight, dash gauges, interior lights... nothing. I have the coil and starter on a separate 12 volt system.
Could not find a short. There is voltage when you check the POS cable connection at the fingertipcontrol , but nothing at any of the wire leads coming off the front of the FT control.
Thanks
07-11-2018, 05:57 AM,
Don't want to sound silly, but have you checked the fuse?
07-11-2018, 08:38 PM,
No, not a silly comment at all, I appreciate any troubleshooting ideas. Yes, the fuse looked just fine and I replaced it anyway. 
Maybe I need to go through and double check all connections for tightness and rust. There was no particular event that caused the lost of power.
I hotwired the POS battery connection at the fingertip control to the horn and it blew loud. Same for the headlights, low beam and it lit up.
Any ideas are welcome.
Thank you
07-13-2018, 04:29 AM,
Not a bad idea to check all the connections John. Do you still have three positive clicks when you turn the light switch, and does the button spring back up when you depress it for the horn? I would also unscrew the fuse holder from where ever it's mounted and clean that as well. Also try running an earth wire from the switch mounting on the steering box to the chassis. Another possibilty is that the switch has got full of steering box lube over the years. Talk about that later. John.
07-13-2018, 10:21 PM,
Ok will do. I did clean the bottom of the steering box where the FTC is attached as it looked like it might be dirty/greasy and hoped to make a cleaner contact.
The light switch on the steering wheel does seem to click in all three positions but the horn does not spring back as firmly as it used to. It's a subtle difference, it still springs back but since you asked, there is a slight difference.
There is a noticeable amount of oil towards the bottom of the steering box, so maybe some leaked into the switch. Can the switch be removed, opened up and cleaned...by an amateur mechanic?
I will run the ground wire to the chassis and see if that makes a difference and see if that makes a difference
Thanks again.
07-16-2018, 02:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2018, 02:49 PM by John Stokes.)
John, this is difficult to sort for someone who is thousands of miles from the USA, but here goes.
Go to the library on this site, click on Willys, then scroll to Willys 880, click on Fingertip Control notes. and you will see the layout of the round type switch.
If you wish to remove the switch, make sure you mark or label all wires according to the library diagram.
You must be careful loosening the brass clamp screw which holds the actuating rod there should be a thin metal plate below this which acts as a stop for the light part of the switch if possible hold this with a pair of pliers or something which will keep the plate from moving and potentially knocking the lighting terminals around while you loosen the clamp nut. You should of course have removed the battery and starter cables from the switch before attempting this. Once you have loosed the clamp nut sufficiently you will be able to pull the rod up from the steering wheel. When the rod is out of the way you will be able to remove one of the bolts that hold the switch to the bottom of the steering box, loosen the other bolt and slide the switch out out. Gently shake the switch to see if anything rattles, it shouldn't.
On the round switches there are two screws which hold the bottom cover in place remove these and you will see the starter contacts. this will be held by a small split pin. Ensure that the light portion of the switch is in the off position before removing this. You can then remove and clean the starter contacts. Don't pull the shaft out of the switch.
At this point I wouldn't recommend further disassembly unless there are internal rattles. You will then have to find some non flammable solvent and immerse the switch in it and see if oil and grease come out, obviously petrol is a NO NO, if it does you will have to keep rinsing until it's relatively clean and dry, you can check to see if the horn returns better than it has, check this on removal. You can hook up the battery while the switch is away from the car and see if anything has improved.
One of the difficulties you face, is that when you lift the actuating rod, you may destroy an old felt seal in the bottom of the steering box. It's nearly ninety and part destroyed anyway, but total destruction will result in loss of steering box lube, so dont push the rod up further than the bottom of the box. Hope this is of some use. John.
07-18-2018, 03:36 AM,
Thank you for the detailed instructions.
10-11-2018, 02:57 AM,
(07-16-2018, 02:48 PM)John Stokes Wrote: John, this is difficult to sort for someone who is thousands of miles from the USA, but here goes.
Go to the library on this site, click on Willys, then scroll to Willys 880, click on Fingertip Control notes. and you will see the layout of the round type switch.
If you wish to remove the switch, make sure you mark or label all wires according to the library diagram.
You must be careful loosening the brass clamp screw which holds the actuating rod there should be a thin metal plate below this which acts as a stop for the light part of the switch if possible hold this with a pair of pliers or something which will keep the plate from moving and potentially knocking the lighting terminals around while you loosen the clamp nut. You should of course have removed the battery and starter cables from the switch before attempting this. Once you  have loosed the clamp nut sufficiently you will be able to pull the rod up from the steering wheel. When the rod is out of the way you will be able to remove one of the bolts that hold the switch to the bottom of the steering box, loosen the other bolt and slide the switch out out. Gently shake the switch to see if anything rattles, it shouldn't.
On the round switches there are two screws which hold the bottom cover in place remove these and you will see the starter contacts. this will be held by a small split pin. Ensure that the light portion of the switch is in the off position before removing this. You can then remove and clean the starter contacts. Don't pull the shaft out of the switch.
At this point I wouldn't recommend further disassembly unless there are internal rattles. You will then have to find some non flammable solvent and immerse the switch in it and see if oil and grease come out, obviously petrol is a NO NO, if it does you will have to keep rinsing until it's relatively clean and dry, you can check to see if the horn returns better than it has, check this on removal. You can hook up the battery while the switch is away from the car and see if anything has improved.
One of the difficulties you face, is that when you lift the actuating rod, you may destroy an old felt seal in the bottom of the steering box. It's nearly ninety and part destroyed anyway, but total destruction will result in loss of steering box lube, so dont push the rod up further than the bottom of the box. Hope this is of some use. John.