Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuemer on model 66 WK
06-30-2018, 06:31 PM,
Fuemer on model 66 WK
Hi  I am not sure if my last post worked

WK  model 66  advice  Fuemer
My car has some small pipes that go into the inlet manifold 1 and 6 and a pressure pump on the dash.
The is no heating fittings and I don't know where or how they  work..   It also seems that not all 66's used the fuemer,  as per the parts book.

My car is going into a magazine and I would like to complete my article.  Any  help appreciated
07-01-2018, 04:26 AM,
RE: Fuemer on model 66 WK
Rob, is there any info in the owners hand book, there's a bit on how to operate it inside the front cover of my handbook? I can scan this up if you want. I note that according to these instructions, the fumer may not have been any use in most Aussie conditions. John.
07-01-2018, 11:50 AM,
John, I have looked in my handbook too and still don't quite understand where the heating system is. I have the primer and the pipes to the inlet manifold and have actually used it once on a cold day and it worked. There is no other heating system. As you may know my car was rescued from a paddock, see pics on WOKR, and has been restored to original piece by piece. The RHD cars to AU as you say may never have had the heating system. All Great sixes here were full imports but all other wokr cars had local bodies and assembly. My car also has a had windscreen wiper and I am not sure if that is correct on export touring cars also. The next year model 66A were better cars, I guess they ironed out the problems on the Model 66. They have improved manifold setup, better clutch etc. but a similar same size engine. These engines are not the same and the 66A has no Fuemer. The later 66A had a bigger engine. Any info on how the Fuemer works is greatly appreciated Rob
07-02-2018, 12:07 AM,
    Hi Rob

I think you are confusing the Primer with the fuemer. They are WKs in the teens. They were just a more advanced version of primer cups used on early Overlands. You would be able to operate the primer from inside the vehicle instead of opening the hood and squirting gas in the primer cups. See attached primer instructions. I have not seen one on a 66 engine but according to sheet 4 in the Running Change list (RC-14743) The primer was added to improve cold starting at SN#4853in 1925. See attached.

In Oct 1925 Sheet 10 RC14941 indicates Fuemers were added to facilitate cold starting. see attached. 

On 66A cars the fuemer was mounted to the bottom of the carburetor air horn. The inside cover of the Operators Manual (attached) tells how the fuemer was intended to work. 

Greg G

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-02-2018, 12:35 PM,
(07-02-2018, 12:07 AM)Greg G Wrote: Hi Rob

I think you are confusing the Primer with the fuemer. They are WKs in the teens. They were just a more advanced version of primer cups used on early Overlands. You would be able to operate the primer from inside the vehicle instead of opening the hood and squirting gas in the primer cups. See attached primer instructions. I have not seen one on a 66 engine but according to sheet 4 in the Running Change list (RC-14743) The primer was added to improve cold starting at SN#4853in 1925. See attached.

In Oct 1925 Sheet 10 RC14941 indicates Fuemers were added to facilitate cold starting. see attached. 

On 66A cars the fuemer was mounted to the bottom of the carburetor air horn. The inside cover of the Operators Manual (attached) tells how the fuemer was intended to work. 

Greg G

Thanks Greg,  yep that seems to clear things.  I am happy to accept  my system is only the primer and never had the Fuemer.   In my 66 parts book it does mention it that they were available.. Also my parts book show an inlet manifold to be used with a Fuemer and one without.  My manifold is the same as in the parts book without a fuemer so I guess it is clear.  I shall tell the magazine publisher that my car has a form of fuel injection for cold starting !

07-14-2018, 02:12 PM,
Thanks everyone, my car will be in Restored Cars Australia next month. I have figured out all the bits for the Fuemer and have the primer pump working. The Fuemer parts are on the car under the little reservoirs and have a sort of spark plug fitting for wires to the dash. I have found a place on the dash that is a hole where the button to start the vaporizing is..
07-14-2018, 02:15 PM,
(07-02-2018, 12:35 PM)lawrie31 Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 12:07 AM)Greg G Wrote: #1669

Thanks Greg,  yep that seems to clear things.  I am happy to accept  my system is only the primer and never had the Fuemer.   In my 66 parts book it does mention it that they were available.. Also my parts book show an inlet manifold to be used with a Fuemer and one without.  My manifold is the same as in the parts book without a fuemer so I guess it is clear.  I shall tell the magazine publisher that my car has a form of fuel injection for cold starting !

07-14-2018, 05:40 PM,
Rob,     one of our 66 cars has like glow plugs fitted into the bottom of each end of the inlet manifold and the pump on the dash we have never had to use them as the car starts well but I presume you pump the gas in and press the button on the dash and the glow plugs / fuemers get red hot. We still have the button on the dash but removed the wiring to the Fuemers so we can use it for another purpose
Yesterday, 12:19 PM,

(07-02-2018, 12:07 AM)Greg G Wrote: Hi GREG
motor 15759.  I just looked but exactly sure.   The car does have the Primer and Fuemer fittings but I have not wired up the Fuemer yet as there is no need in sunny Brisbane, but I will for completeness now I know how it all works.  Thanks for help   Rob
Yesterday, 12:22 PM,
(07-14-2018, 05:40 PM)SB. UK Wrote: Rob,     one of our 66 cars has like glow plugs fitted into the bottom of each end of the inlet manifold and the pump on the dash we have never had to use them as the car starts well but I presume you pump the gas in and press the button on the dash and the glow plugs / fuemers get red hot. We still have the button on the dash but removed the wiring to the Fuemers so we can use it for another purpose

Thanks I have it all figured now    Rob