Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1928 Whippet 96 Sedan for sale - Driver
06-05-2018, 02:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2018, 01:16 PM by hammer.)
1928 Whippet 96 Sedan for sale - Driver
John Stokes identified some errors in my original post and suggested I may be priced a little too high; I'm extremely grateful to him for sharing his knowledge and experience. What follows is my best effort to make corrections and adjustments based on his insights. Any errors that remain, are mine alone.

By way of introduction, I'm Shawn and I have what I believe is a fairly complete and unrestored 1928 Whippet Six Model 98 with 6089 actual miles. We believe we're the third owner of this beautiful time capsule and have made no changes to the car ourselves.

This car is in our climate controlled toy box with the other precious toys but, as we grow older and start reducing the number of toys we look after, it needs a new home that will preserve the heritage it represents.

The partially unverifiable story: This car was purchased by the original owner, driven ~6k miles and put in storage. My friend purchased the car from the original owner before his death and I purchased it from my friend a few years ago, just prior to his death.

As near as we can tell, the car has never been taken apart or restored, though the aluminum ID plate I thought would be on the right-rear frame rail isn't present (see photo below) and it was repainted at some point. To me, that suggests a restoration or repair but, overall the car looks as though it hasn't been molested. It was repainted at some point (the original dull green paint on the inside of the doors is the give away - Thanks John!) and while most of the interior appears to be original there are some period aftermarket accessories such as the interior fuel and temperature gauges and the Imperial Primer. The paint is worn through in places, is checked and cracked in others. We haven't examined any of the wood except the wheel spokes but, they look great. It runs great and drives as close to brand-new, right off the lot as you're ever going to get today from a car made in 1928.

We're located in Northwest Washington State and are happy to help arrange transportation with a reliable car delivery service. 

1928 Whippet Six Model 98
6089 Miles
Unrestored Mostly Original
3rd owner
99.99% complete (missing ID badge)
$15,000/obo to a good home

[img][Image: IMG_0210.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_0212.jpg][/img]
[img]http://wokr.org/forum/[Image: IMG_0217.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_0213.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_0211.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_0218.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_0214.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_0215.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: IMG_0216.jpg][/img]
06-12-2018, 07:58 AM,
RE: 1928 Whippet 96 Sedan for sale - Driver
So, I must be too new to the forum, asking too much, in the wrong part of the country, or just don't smell right.

How about a little friendly feedback and let me know what's amiss? I really am interested in finding this car a new owner.
06-12-2018, 09:12 AM,
I'm thousands of miles from the USA, so my comments may not be relevant, but here goes. The car isn't a Model 96, it's a 1928 Whippet Six Model 98. It has been repainted at some stage of it's life, you can see the original dull green paint on the inside of the doors, it's a little sad that the paint has deteriorated on the left side of the body. The upholstery does look original. The internal temperature and gas gauges are period aftermarket. The original gas gauge is on the gas tank. The "Imperial Primer" is also period aftermarket.
You must understand that prices for "conventional" 'twenties cars probably peaked some years ago and are now in decline as living styles change. This particularly applies to what many regard as orphan cars. For instance sourcing parts for this car won't be easy, even with the assistance of the WOKR organisation, if you own a Model A you can buy almost any replacement parts without difficulty.
You admit you are downsizing because of getting older, there may not be much appeal in this car for someone under fifty or sixty, and many of that age bracket are downsizing.
Have you tried listing the car on Ebay or Craigslist, you are accessing a world market if you do this. If you have done this and met with no success, it could mean that you may have to reconsider your price.
06-12-2018, 12:59 PM,
John - thank you for your reply and especially for your clarifications about the model, paint, and period aftermarket components - all things I've been sadly ignorant of but am grateful to be educated now. I'll update my original post accordingly!

As for selling to the broader public, I haven't yet tried any of the conventional methods. As a last resort though, I will if I can't find anyone in this community who is interested. I think there is a great risk of losing this car entirely if it's sold to someone who isn't interested in or able to care for it.

Again, my gratitude for your reply and additional information.
-Shawn
06-12-2018, 06:10 PM,
Shawn, just a quick point, check the left hand chassis rail directly opposite the right for the vin, which may be covered in paint. I have two four cylinder Whippets one vin is on the right the other on the left. John.
06-13-2018, 10:33 PM,
Thanks John - I'll check when I'm back in town this weekend and report back.