Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model 4 Steering Box
06-03-2018, 06:56 AM,
Model 4 Steering Box
    Can I replace the gears and pins in my steering box with those from or for a Model T Ford? My steering has a lot of slack. I removed the steering box and the gear assembly. I can rock the 3 gears on their pins.
06-03-2018, 01:18 PM,
RE: Model 4 Steering Box
Perhaps see if you can get full dimensions of the Model T gears and pins from Snyders or a similar T parts supplier. Apparentely there are two different steering gear ratios for Model T's.
06-04-2018, 05:06 AM,
Ok John, I'll see tomorrow. Thanks!
06-07-2018, 10:59 AM,
So, by measurements the planetary gears for a Model T seemed like they would work, so I ordered a set as well as the pins. (Note only the planetary gears are useful from the kit, and the pins are sold separately). They work! My gear box now has zero slack, however I still had about 5" of freeplay on the steering wheel!? So I used our modern technology and set up my phone to record a video while I worked the steering wheel back and forth. The area of trouble was the attachment of the steering arm to the steering box. It appeared that this was not drawn up tight which allowed some slack between the 2 members. The subsequent wiggle then worked on the woodruff key creating a dish on each side of it as well as thinning it generally. We created a new woodruff key slightly oversize to original ( fit tightly in groove when installed by hand) drew the nut up snug, installed the cotter key through the castle nut, and now the only slack is the attachment of the steering wheel itself! Car drives better than it has since I have had it and no deathwobble! Oh another item I found , was the alignment was off. Wheels were toed out about 1/8". They are now toed in 5/16" Thanks John for your help and hopefully this post will aid others with this trouble.
06-07-2018, 11:30 AM,
Garth,

Would you please share what vendor you purchased gears from and perhaps the actual part number. This will save messing around for the other model 4 and I assume model 91 owners.

Great news as my understanding was that the model T gears would not fit overland 4 or 91.

I will get this information posted in the P&SL

Say Hi to Hemphill next time you talk to him.
06-09-2018, 09:49 AM,
Part # T-3517-AS Steering gear set 1909-25. Another # on the bag was 1781/100411/LP. I got them from George Moir Antique Auto, from Edmonton Alberta, but anywhere that specializes in antique Ford replacement parts should carry them. Gears had 12 teeth, were 1" in diameter and 5/8" thick, with a 3/8" bore. Pins were sold separately as part #T-3518 Steering Gear Pinion Pins 1909-27, Another # on the bag was 050312/CB. I need to call Roy and say Hi myself, so I'll certainly say Hi from you as well Dave!
06-09-2018, 10:50 AM,
Roy called me about an hour ago. He and Sharon have sold their farm and are scheduled to be homeless in October. My wife Nancy and I have bought a home in Ft. Myers Florida and closing June 14. Should have our Minnesota home on market July. Hope it sells quickly.

Roy always speaks highly of you when you come up in conversation.

Thank you for the information.
06-15-2018, 12:14 PM,
Hope your home sells and the move is without trouble. Does the move put you in a different chapter? You are welcome for the info.
06-15-2018, 07:34 PM,
This move does in fact place me geographically in Dixie Chapter territory. I have already talked with them and will be officially joining Dixie. I will also remain a UMV Chapter member and hope to make at least one meet each year with the UMV gang.

It's all good.

Thank you for the steering gear box information.